As you read this I’ll be on my way to Florida!
I’m spending the week relaxing on the beach with my sisters and the kiddos before my new job begins. I’m also escaping just as New Jersey gets hit with even more snow
This weekend involved a lot of laying around and cleaning. I’m totally the type of person that needs to make sure everything is organized and tidy before I leave on vacation or start something new. I scrubbed down the kitchen, swept the floors, went through everything in my closet – best feeling ever!
On Saturday I was also able to make it to the park for a quick bout of fresh air. I didn’t stay long though – I was underdressed and it was freezing!
It felt good just to be outside and remember that spring is coming, albeit very slowly.
These dudes didn’t seem to mind the weather.
There was also some successful kitchen experiments.
A few weeks ago I wrote that I started eating quinoa for breakfast. Previously, I only enjoyed the grain in savory preparations, but eating it for breakfast completely opened my mind to new possibilities. The following recipe is pretty hard to mess up, so feel free to experiment with whatever you have in the kitchen.
Chocolate Protein Quinoa Cups
Makes 14 regular sized ‘muffins’
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked (!!!)
- 3 scoops chocolate protein powder
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 2/3 cup lite coconut milk
- 2 bananas
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp stevia
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the quinoa using the directions on the package and start brewing some coffee, or use the leftovers from breakfast.
- In an effort to make as little mess as possible, throw all the ingredients into one giant bowl and stir it up! If the batter doesn’t start coming together, add more coffee.
- Pour the gooey chocolate mixture into muffin tins (I recommend silicone baking cups!) and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes or until the tops of the muffins harden and the inside is no longer gooey.
I usually loosely follow some kind of recipe when I cook, but this was my first time truly just winging it and the results were great! These not only taste chocolatey and delicious, but are packed with protein and whole grains. They make the perfect breakfasts, post workout snacks or even desert.